CFES Aquafit Instructor Course This course is designed to teach foundation knowledge and instructor skills to successfully complete CFES Canadian national Aquafit Instructor certification -- enabling you to program and lead basic water fitness exercise classes. Ample practicum opportunities are provided.
CFES Aquafit Instructor Course Content
In this course you will learn:
• To program plan for all class sections and fitness levels for aquatic fitness classes.
• How to create a safe and caring atmosphere.
• Properly screen your participants, provide on-going screening and monitoring of the participants for the duration of the program and provide modifications to accommodate all levels of ability, and to design, modify, and lead a safe, effective, and appropriate water fitness exercise class.
• Cueing and working with music.
• Use of shallow, and deep water space and group formations and choreography skills.
• Communication skills and professional ethics.
• Students will be given ample teaching opportunities within the course and practicums.
This course requires 35 hours of classroom and theory learning, 20 hours for the Practicum, and 30 to 40 hours of home study (pre-study, pre-reading, pre-assignments, homework assignments, open book exam, preparation for the CFES national certification closed book exam, and preparation for the Skills Assessment).
CFES AquaFit Instructor Course Resources -- Aquafit Instructor Course manual, program booklet and educator resources for complete national Aquafit Instructor certification.
CFES AquaFit Instructor Course Manual 1st Edition
CFES Aquafit Instructor Course Program Booklet, 1st Edition
Aquafit Instructor Course Program Educator Kit, 1st Edition
What our students say about this course ...
"Recently just completing the CFES 32 hour aqua module, my experience was extremely positive. Not only did I gain the knowledge, I had the opportunity to practice and teach what I learned throughout the course. The instructor, Monica, was able to engage us the whole time and made a special point of working on all areas so that we felt confident when finishing the course. Years ago I had taken this course through another company and did not feel ready to teach after complteing the course. After the CFES aqua module training, I have the skills I need to teach successful aquafit classes. I would recommend CFES training to anybody looking to become a fitness leader. Thank you!
The CFES Aquatic fitness course was very enjoyable. The trainer was extremely professional and the material was practical and clear. The trainer facilitated in a way which allows attendees to interact in a fun atmosphere, while learning excellent skills and knowledge. I really got a great amount out of the course it covered all my objectives and more and the one to one training was excellent, I would highly recommend this course to others.
Find A Course Near You
For course locations, dates and times click our Course Calendar. To register for classroom courses contact the location near you.
The Aquafit Instructor Course Agenda at a Glance
This course is designed to have 35 hours of classroom teaching. Following the initial 32 hours, you will be given time away from the classroom to complete the open book exam. You will be scheduled to return to the classroom after three – four weeks (this is at the discretion of the educator) for the Classroom Course Completion where the open book examination will be reviewed and marked.
The second part to the Aquatic Fitness Instructor Course is the Practicum. The Practicum is designed to be taught over 20 hours. During the Practicum, you will write the CFES National Aquatic Fitness Instructor examination.
The third part is the Aquatic Fitness Instructor Skills Assessment.
CFES Canadian National Aquafit Instructor Certification Requirements
Successfully complete (80% +) of the following CFES program steps or present an equivalent.*
1 CFES Fitness Knowledge Classroom or Home Study Course (30+ hours);*
2 Aquafit Instructor Classroom Course (24+ hours);*
3. Practicum Classroom Course or Mentorship Program (8-20+ hours);*
4. National Instructor Skills Assessment (in practicum or one to one)*;
5. National Instructor Exam (one hour, closed book, supervised)*;
6. Maintain current CPR-A minimum and Emergency or Standard First Aid Certifications;
7. Maintain annual liability insurance (if required);
8. Submit to CFES: Certification or Cross-transfer Application form and collateral documents; signed Instructor Code of Honour; CFES Program Evaluation; Exam and Certification fee;
9. Receive CFES Aquafit Instructor Certification (electronic or at end of classroom program).
* CFES recognizes AFLCA, BCRPA, CALA, FNB, IFC, MFC, NSFA, OFC, SPRA and YM/YWCA equivalency.
Note: Practicum Program Alternative Choices for Instructor: Students unable to attend a practicum program are required to work with a CFES Certified Leadership Mentor (LM) in their community at a facility offering this service. When there is no CFES Certified LM in your community, discuss and agree with your educator how you will meet CFES certification standard for this practicum experience.
When your skills and confidence to be employable are apparent it is time to book your CFES Instructor Skills Assessment with a CFES Educator, CFES Instructor or Personal Trainer Skills Assessment Evaluator [SAE] in your region.
CFES National Aquafit Instructor Recertification Requirements
Candidates are to successfully complete the following steps or present an equivalent*:
1. Attend eight (8) hours CFES recognized recertification workshops, seminars or confereces* (in-class or online);
2. Submit twelve (12) verified Instructional hours per certification*;
3. Maintain CPR; First Aid and annual liability insurance (if insurance required);
4. Submit to CFES: Re-certification Application form and collateral documents; signed Instructor Professional Code of Honour; Program Evaluation; Application Form and Re-Certification fee
5. Receive CFES Aquafit Instructor recertification (electronically).
Provincial and National Recognitions:
CFES Fitness Leadership Program modules are designed to take students through the steps in the CFES Canadian national fitness instructor and personal trainer certification.
As well as providing national certification CFES is an IDEA Fitness Connect Certification Verification Partner. CFES resources are also recognized by a variety of specialized fitness leadership agencies, including: the Canadian Aquatics Leaders Alliance (CALA); the Canadian Personal Trainers Network (CPTN), Canfitpro (GFI + PT = PT/FIS equivalency) and National Fitness Leadership Alliance (NFLA), which includes the BCRPA Fitness Branch; Alberta Fitness Leadership Certification Association; Saskatchewan Parks and Recreation Association Fitness Division; Manitoba Fitness Council; Ontario Fitness Council; Fitness New Brunswick; Island Fitness Council and the Nova Scotia Fitness Association. For further info how to complete with any of the above agencies contact them directly.
The CFES Fitness Knowledge Course is approved by the Massage Therapist Associations of B.C., Alberta and Saskatchewan for credits for Continuing Education/Professional Development. Our programs are also integrated within college continued education and health and fitness diploma programs in Canada; and as an addendum to university health and exercise sciences programs for job-ready graduation credentialing.
CFES resources are also recognized by the BC Ministry of Education and Alberta Education and utilized in individual Ontario Board Authorized high school physical education credit courses grades 9 to 12 students. The CFES Fitness Knowledge Course is listed in both the BC Min. of Ed's Integrated Resource Package and highlighted in their Grade Collection for meeting the most learning outcomes for PE 10/12 students and on Education Alberta's Learning Centre.
Full-fledged CFES instructor courses are 24+ hours of classroom theory and on-the-floor/in-the-water practical training with end of course open book completion exams; followed by an 8-20 hour practicum; a one-hour closed book proctored certification exam; and a 90 minute instructor skills assessment. Passing grade is 80%. Instructors are expected to maintain CPR + First Aid tickets and obtain liability insurance (if necessary).
In order to become certified as a CFES Group Fitness, Aquafit or Weight Training Instructor or Personal Trainer with CFES, Canfitpro or NFLA affiliates you will complete the certification/registration process with the agency of your choice. CFES requires both a national closed book exam and Instructor/Personal Trainer Skills Assessment to finalize certification, arranged with the CFES course conductor or skills assessment evaluator.